Casuarina Square Dental Care is now closed for routine dental treatment, in accordance with restriction placed on all dentists across Australia due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

For emergencies, please call 89279418.

We thank you for your understanding and look forward to offering routine dental treatment as restrictions are eased. In the meantime, stay home and stay safe!
Casuarina Square Dental Care
A Great Dentist

What is a Cone Beam CT (CBCT scan) and how does it differ from X-ray pictures?

a man looks up and to the side | dentist in casuarina nt

Alternately referred to as 'digital volumetric tomography' (DVT), the CBCT scan is a new variety of x-ray examination. While the traditional x-ray produces a two-dimensional image, the CBCT produces a three-dimensional image of your teeth, soft tissue, nerves and jaw. This will give your dentist a more accurate picture of your dental needs.

The cone beam CT creates 3D images of your mouth. CBCT cuts the radiation exposure dramatically when compared to medical CT. Both forms are superior to the routine intraoral panoramic x-rays your dentist might take as they help your dentist in doing the following:

  • Provide extremely accurate measurements of the shape and dimensions of the jaw as well as the sinuses, nasal cavity and nerve canal. This is invaluable for precise placement of dental implants as well as measuring for oral appliances.
  • Detect tumours and lesions in their earliest stages.
  • Diagnose disorders of the airway that can be causing sleep disorders.
  • Locate precisely where an infection is located in your tooth.

When Does Casuarina Square Dental Care Use a CBCT Scan?

The CBCT scan is beneficial in situations such as root canal treatments, impacted teeth, dental implant planning and a wide variety of other procedures where precision is key. If a CBCT scan has been recommended for you, consider having a discussion with your dentist about how a scan could help your individual dental health.  

Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.